Are you looking to mix up your fitness routine this summer? Being active for 60 minutes can be fun if you find activities you enjoy. Even get your kids involved in the summer activities planning!
Here are some fun ways to stay active this summer:
- If your yard is in need of some TLC, do some landscaping.
- Is your garage cluttered? Do you have some household repairs you want to do? Or any fun house projects you want to complete? This is the perfect time for this “spring” cleaning.
- Play with your pets in your yard or take your dog to a local dog park!
- Have a water fight in the backyard with water balloons and squirt guns.
- Ride around your neighborhood on your bike or pull out your rollerblades or skateboard and have fun!
- Go on a family hike to get some fresh air and quality family time. Look up good hiking spots in your area and plan your hike!
- Get to the water and swim, kayak, or fish during the hot, sunny days.
- Care for the environment and get some exercise in while you pick up litter around your community.
The sunny day may be your motivation to be outside and exercise, but the summer heat can be risky. Here are some tips for being safe while staying active this summer:
- Avoid the hottest part of the day
- Wear a hat, sunglasses, and light-colored, lightweight clothing
- Apply sunscreen periodically
- Stay hydrated
- Watch for heatstroke
Pick multiple activities to do this summer, or just choose one that appeals to you. Get outside, be safe, and get active this summer!