As Stay at Home Orders are being lifted and businesses are starting to reopen, you might be thinking of your return to the gym. We are all so excited to see you when our doors open on May 26th! We hope you have been staying healthy and taking care of yourself during this pandemic. Before you return, Western Personal Trainers and Group Fitness Instructors would like you to keep a few things in mind as you head back to the gym.
We all just spent over two months at home with no access to a gym. Some of us are probably nervous to go back and scared to see how our bodies respond after two months of low-intensity workouts or no workouts at all. Please do not beat yourself up for how your body did or didn’t change during this lockdown period. We are all at different stages of our fitness journey. It’s not about the weight gained or lost during this unusual time - it’s about you staying healthy!
Some of you may not have touched a piece of workout equipment for over two months or had access to limited equipment, and that is okay! Here are some important tips to remember as you return to Western:
- We are all anxious to get moving again but don’t do too much too soon. Pace yourself and ease back into your workout routine so you don’t get injured and have to sit out for longer. This is a great time to focus on proper form and mind-muscle connection before you start throwing around heavy weights and higher intensities.
- Take care of your body with a proper warm-up and cool down before and after your workout. Focus on dynamic stretching in the beginning and static stretching at the end, range of motion, and mobility.
- Cut yourself some slack! There are certain workouts you may not have done for over two months. Set realistic expectations for yourself during each workout. You might not be able to lift the same weight or workout at the same pace as you did in early March. That is okay! You will get back to that point as you continue to train.
- Be sure to take days off from the gym… Even though you’ve been away for a couple of months. You will likely be sore after the first few workouts, so give your body time to recover.
Western has protocols set in place to keep us all safe with sanitation stations in multiple locations throughout the club. Use them frequently. Please do your part and remember to not only wipe down the benches you sit on, but also everything you touch: weight plates, dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, balls, bands, handles, and pins when done. Pretty much everything you encounter! Practice physical distancing and keep others in mind as you are utilizing the club. Learn more about all the new protocols and cleaning procedures at Western by visiting westernracquet.com/covid-19-precautions.
In our first phase of re-opening, we will not be adding in-person group fitness classes yet! We will continue hosting Zoom virtual group fitness classes, so check those out on the Western Group Fitness Junkies page on Facebook!
Once in-person group fitness classes start to slowly get added to the schedule, here are some pointers to remember:
- Take some extra time to warm-up by moving in all planes of motion and working on mobility as well.
- Take plenty of water breaks! Your body might be moving more than usual and at a higher intensity. Also, you will be adjusting to a different way you are used to doing group fitness classes, which can cause added stress, so take a deep breath!
- Smile at your neighbor! Give them an air high five! While you’re still on Zoom, share a virtual high five! Roll with it. This won’t be easy, but we have each other to get through this!
A few other reminders for when you re-enter the club:
- Drinking fountains and water dispensers will not be available for use so bring your own pre-filled water bottle or buy bottled water at the FuelBar or front desk.
- Towel service is suspended at this time, so remember to bring your own towels for working out and showering after!
- Masks are encouraged but not required. We will have masks available for members if requested!
- You must sign up for a workout timeslot using the Western Virtuagym app. Make sure to check your e-mail for step by step instructions being sent out to all members or visit westernracquet.com/covid-19-precautions
Please be mindful of your health and the others around you. We are all in this together and we are so glad to see all of you again!